Return to Home Page
City Codes


Late Utility Bills Policy

The following are City guidelines for late utility bills:

• A notice will be sent when a customer reaches $200.00 bill or over 60 days. Customer will receive a notice to pay bill within 10 business days. A 24 hour notice will be issued if bill is not paid in allowed time frame.

• If bill is not paid within the 24 hour, water will be terminated immediately. (see ordinance for re-connection fee)

A payment plan may be made with City Clerk and will require at least monthly rate + 25% divided into monthly, bi-monthly or weekly payments. If customer shall miss a payment without prior notice to City Clerk, payment plan will void and water will be disconnected immediately.


Yes, Wesley does have a curfew for minors (below the age of 18). Minors cannot be on city streets, alleys, or public places between 11:00 pm and 5:00 am, Sunday thru Thursday: Midnight (12:00 am) -5:00 am, Saturday and Sunday. Parents are responsible to enforce this.

Dog Permits

All dogs must be licensed at City Hall with rabies vaccination. Cost for a dog tag is $10.00 for spayed and neutered dogs or $20.00 if they are not, from January to June and expire December 31st. After July 1st a $5.00 per month fee is added to each unpaid licenses. It is unlawful for any owner to allow an animal to run at large within the corporate limits of the City.
It is unlawful for any owner to allow an animal to run at large within the corporate limits of the City. Animals wearing a shock collar that are with and under the control of their owner are not considered to be at large. Any person owning a dog shall confine the same from running at large. It is the duty of every person owning a dog to:
1. Confine the dog by good and sufficient means; or
2. Cause the dog to be under the control of a person competent to restrain and control the dog, either by leash, cord, chain, or other similar restraint of sufficient strength, and not more than six feet in length; or
3. Properly restrain in a motor vehicle or keep the dog in a veterinary hospital or registered kennel.
A muzzled dog shall not be deemed to have been restrained unless the above conditions are also met.

Golf Cart and ATV Permits

Golf Cart and ATV permits are available at City Hall. The cost is $35.00 per year which runs from July 1st to the last day in June. In order to operate such vehicles on city streets, a permit must be obtained.

Building Permits

Building permits are needed to complete any building needs. Applications are available at City Hall. The cost per building is $50.00

Burn Pile

The burn pile is located at the Wesley Lagoon on the West side of town, a key to access this is available at City Hall during office hours or by contacting The Mayor or any of The Wesley City Council Members.
CRAIG LARSON 515-341-4475
THERESA GRADY 515-341-4062
DAVID REDING 515-341-0626
DAVE NEUROTH 515-341-2671
MELISSA JOHNSON 515-250-2022
IZZY GOMEZ 312-513-7757

- Get Permission Before Dumping
- No Garbage
- No Metal
- No Logs Over 4” In Diameter
- No Ashes
- No Burn Barrels
- No Paper
Please Follow These Rules or Department of Natural Resources Will Close It!
If you have any tree branches that hang over or onto the sidewalk or street please trim back at least 15 feet above the surface of the street and 8 feet above the sidewalks.


There are numerous sidewalks in town that need repairs. The City will reimburse property owners $1.00 per square foot who repair/replace an existing sidewalk or install a new one that is on city property (but maintained by the property owner). No sidewalks on private property are eligible for the reimbursement. A receipt must be turned into the city clerk’s office for payment.

Junk & Junk Vehicles 

“Junk” means all old or scrap copper, brass, lead, or any other non-ferrous metal; old or discarded rope, rags, batteries, paper, trash, rubber, debris, waste or used lumber, or salvaged wood; dismantled vehicles, machinery and appliances or parts of such vehicles, machinery or appliances; iron, steel or other old or scrap ferrous materials; old or discarded glass, tinware, plastic or old or discarded household goods or hardware.
“Junk vehicle” means any vehicle legally placed in storage with the County Treasurer or unlicensed and having any of the following characteristics:
A. Broken Glass. Any vehicle with a broken or cracked windshield, window, headlight or tail light, or any other cracked or broken glass.
B. Broken, Loose, or Missing Part. Any vehicle with a broken, loose, or missing fender, door, bumper, hood, steering wheel or trunk lid.
C. Habitat for Nuisance Animals or Insects. Any vehicle that has become the habitat for rats, mice, snakes, or any other vermin or insects.
D. Flammable Fuel. Any vehicle that contains gasoline or any other flammable fuel.
E. Inoperable. Any motor vehicle that lacks an engine or two or more wheels or other structural parts, rendering said motor vehicle totally inoperable, or that cannot be moved under its own power or has not been used as an operating vehicle for a period of 30 days or more.
F. Defective or Obsolete Condition. Any other vehicle that, because of its defective or obsolete condition, in any other way constitutes a threat to the public health and safety.
Mere licensing of such vehicle shall not constitute a defense to the finding that the vehicle is a junk vehicle.
“Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which a person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway or street, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, and includes without limitation a motor vehicle, automobile, truck, motorcycle, tractor, buggy, wagon, farm machinery, or any combination thereof.
JUNK AND JUNK VEHICLES PROHIBITED. It is unlawful for any person to store, accumulate, or allow to remain on any private property within the corporate limits of the City any junk or junk vehicle.
If this nuisance is not taken care of you could be subject to a fine of $100.00(One Hundred Dollars) or more.

Law Enforcement in Wesley

Contact Kossuth County Sheriff’s Department
NON-EMERGENCY - 515-295-9471

Call Before You Dig

Iowa One Call
      City of Wesley
      105 2nd Street Wesley, IA 50483  |  Phone: 515-679-4292  |  Fax: 515-679-4292
      Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  Terms of use  
      E-notify RSS Feeds Facebook